Every year we struggle to buy presents for those outdoors-y people in our lives. You either have no idea what they actually do out in the wilderness, or they already have everything! What should you give?
This series will give you some ideas for those weekend warriors, scouts and backcountry guides in your life. Stocking stuffers should be unique, fun, small and less than $30.
For the boy scout, guide, gear head who has everything, or anyone who loves outdoor adventure:
- Keep their feet warm, dry and funk free with some Smartwool performance socks. $13-21
- A soft Smartwool neck gaiter is a hat, headband or of course, neck gaiter. $25
- If they like playing outside, chances are they eat Clif Bars. And one can never have too many in reserve.
- Freeze dried meals from Backpacker's Pantry make trip planning easier, hunger pains shorter and clean-up a breeze. $2-9
- Coghlan's Telescoping Fork The smartest, coolest marshmallow roaster ever. This fork extends to get to the sweet spot without burned fingers. Plus, it has a built in rotator knob for even roasting! $12.97
- Protect their lips from sun, snow and wind with Burt’s Bees Outdoor SPF 15 lip balm $4
- Setting up tarps, tents and even hammocks is fast and knot free with the Nite Ize Figure 9 carabiner. $6
- For the DIY outdoorsman or woman, a pro-membership to Instructables is perfection. Learn to do or make just about anything from user-uploaded DIY projects, show others what you made and how to make it, enter contests to win prizes. $23.40
- Get them out of a sticky situation with the SOL Core Lite survival knife. This little knife boasts a built-in whistle and LED light. $25
- Badger Balm Sore Muscle Rub for those days when they've pushed themselves a little too hard.
- Help them ease into Monday morning with some soothing hand and toe warmers from Grabber. $2
For the rock climber in your life:
- Arno Ilgner, the author of the classic “The Rock Warriors Way,” brings us “Espresso Lessons;” practical lessons for on and off the rock. $19.95
- Misty Mountain brings back the Bouldering Scratch Mat for the boulderer in your life. $9.95
- Some climbers go through climbing tape like you wouldn’t believe. Plus it doubles as medical tape. $3.95
- Keep them pumped out even in the off season with a Dynaflex Pro Gyro Hand Exerciser
- Make their favorite pair of shoes last longer with Five Ten’s Stealth Paint Repair Kit $16.99
- If all else fails, buy them some Super Chalk. Chalk is like Clif Bars, it’s always good to have a reserve.
- Does your climber play well with others? Chances are they climb well with them too. Black Diamond’s Gorilla Chalk Bag is big and flat bottomed, a communal chalk pot perfect for group bouldering sessions.
- Keep their noggin and ears warm on a run, ride, or paddle with a windproof Gore Bike wear helmet cap $25.95
- Chilly mornings often make for warmer afternoons. Help them transition without slowing down with Smartwool arm warmers $25
- If they run in Vibram Five Fingers, their toes may be a little chilly in colder temps. Keep their toes and legs warm with Injinji's new outdoor calf length merino wool toe socks $16
- Earbuds that fall out are annoying. Koss' Sport Clip Headphones won't fall out.
- Keep them amped, even while on the couch with Christopher McDougall's Born to Run $15
- Hard work on cold days often makes for sore muscles. Ease their pain with a Body Wrap from Carex.
- Keep their hands warm during 3 seasons with these Manzella Silkweight Windstopper Glove When it's just chilly, they block the wind without overheating. Add a liner glove for toasty hands on colder days.
- Fuel them to the finish line with Cliff Energy Shots. Compact enough for a back pocket, fast and easy to down on the go.
- L-Glutamine helps with protein synthesis, immune system support, cell hydration and has no known negative side effects. Get it from GNC for just $5.99
- There's nothing less refreshing than warm water after a workout. Polar Insulated Bottles keep drinks colder longer. $11.99
- Help them stay hydrated, without all the sugar. Elete electrolyte additive can be added to water to boost electrolyte levels without the performance zapping effects of sugar. $4.99
- It's hard to find a good skin protection that stays on when you sweat profusely. Sol Sunguard's MultiSport formula keeps skin protected from sun and wind even while sweating. This formula "breates" to let sweat out while retaining its protecting qualities.
- Bodyglide is a must-have for all types of endurance athletes from expedition kayakers to marathoners and cyclists. Sweat and friction combine to make for one uncomfortable experience in really awful places. Prevent it with Bodyglide.
- Cliff Shot Bloks provide simple and complex carb fuel in a pre-portioned package. Just need a little boost? Eat one or two from the pack. Need a kick in the rear? Eat the whole pack.